Tuition and maintenance loans

You can get a tuition loan to cover the cost of your tuition and a maintenance loan to cover living expenses. You only start to pay back your loans once you are earning a specified amount per year after you have left college/university.


Maintenance loans are not available to part-time students. The Maintenance Loan is there to help with the living costs incurred while in higher education. The exact amount you can borrow will depend on several factors – including household income, where you live while you’re studying, when you started your course and whether you’re in your final year. Follow the link for details about rates – or use the Student Finance Calculator for a quick guide.


Special Support Grant replaces the maintenance grant for students who meet the conditions for being a ‘prescribed person’ under the Income Support or Housing Benefit Regulations. Students who are likely to qualify include: single parents; other student parents – if they have a partner who is also a student; students with certain disabilities. If you’re not sure which grant to apply for, contact Student finance England.


Childcare Grant is for students with dependent children. If you qualify, the Childcare Grant could cover as much as 85 per cent of your childcare costs. This is a means tested grant.


Adult dependants’ Grant is for full-time higher education students with an adult who is dependant upon them financially.

Newsletter Signup

London: 3 The Mount, London W3 9NW | Reading: 80 London Street, Reading RG1 4SJ © 2018 ABI College

Page Last Updated April 26, 2018